Saturday, September 27, 2014

'Red Band Society': Fox's next breakout hit?


When I heard Dave Annable (Brothers & Sisters, 666 Park Avenue) was gonna play a doctor in a new teen drama for Fox, I was intrigued. Then when I heard Octavia Spencer (Oscar winner for The Help) would be playing a no-nonsense nurse, I basically said I would be watching Red Band Society even if I was the only one in the world.

The series follows a group of teens in a special hospital. Obviously, they all relate on some level as having health issues, whether it be cancer or an eating disorder, but the cast all has amazing chemistry together. The series is narrated by Griffin Gluck, who portrays a young boy in a coma who has the ability to hear all the problems and everyday drama around the hospital. 

Ever since Glee proverbially crashed and burned last year, Fox is in desperate need for a new breakout hit that everyone is talking about. Musical numbers probably wouldn't be appropriate for a hospital drama, but I still don't see what would be stopping Red Band Society from being the network's next big hit. Annable portrays a great and convincing doctor, Dr. McAndrews, and is just overall excellent with the rest of the cast. Catch it Wednesdays at 9/8c on Fox.

No comments:

Post a Comment