Saturday, June 9, 2018

The Best Songs of 2018 So Far


Since it’s already June (which means 2018 is already half over, whaaaat?!), I thought it would be a good time to reflect on some of the awesome tunes that this year has already given us—songs that you definitely need to check out if you haven’t already! And there’s still another half of the year to go, so I can only imagine what other great songs are waiting for us apart from these ones.
“My My My!” – Troye Sivan

If anything, 2018 is the year of Troye Sivan (he isn’t new; he already achieved commercial and critical success with his debut album Blue Neighbourhood in 2015), but with his next era of music, Sivan seems to have shed his somber, teenage indie pop vibes in favor of some grown-up electronic, dance-pop bangers—as Billboard writes, “‘My My My!’ evidences an adult who’s already there, brimming with confidence from the first chopped-up synth moan.” And did I mention it’s all super gay and gives me so much life?
“Stop Me From Falling” – Kylie Minogue

Our one and only Australian pop queen ventured into country pop with her fourteenth studio album released this April (full review here) and “Stop Me From Falling” will be the song of your summer after just one listen.
“Never Be the Same” – Camila Cabello

I truly was never the same after hearing Camila Cabello’s second single from her debut solo album (full review here)—the 21-year-old powerhouse proves her incredible vocal range by effortlessly shifting from a throaty growl to an impossibly high near-whisper (something that continues to be mocked but, honestly, check your baggage because this flight is full). I never liked Fifth Harmony, the girl group Cabello left in favor of a solo career in 2016, but after just the first six months of 2018, she has proven that she was always supposed to be just Camila.
“No Tears Left To Cry” – Ariana Grande
I didn’t fall in love with this song upon first listen, but it grew on me almost immediately thereafter: Grande does not disappoint with the lead single from her upcoming fourth studio album, Sweetener.
“Flames” – David Guetta & Sia

Manages to be deep yet also somehow light, uplifting and makes you want to dance, all at the same time? Sia sure knows how to bring that out in people.
“Make Me Feel” – Janelle Monáe

I didn’t end up liking Janelle Monáe’s latest album, Dirty Computer (not really my cup of tea, but I admire the boundaries she’s pushing), but I may or may not have gotten so obsessed with this song when it first came out that I’ve now gotten so sick of it I don’t want to hear it anymore. Why am I like this?
“Solo” – Clean Bandit feat. Demi Lovato

Catchiest of all the catchiest bops this year has seen.
“Wait” – Maroon 5

I don’t know what it is with just about every Maroon 5 single that makes me want to stop and sing along to every note? It also helps that in an alternate universe I’m married to Adam Levine.
“High Horse” – Kacey Musgraves

I don’t even know how she managed to do it but I think Kacey Musgraves released the catchiest song of all-time?
“Back To You” – Selena Gomez

Part of me wishes this was the lead single from Selena Gomez’s next album instead of a song for the 13 Reasons Why soundtrack but we will take what we can get.
“Lost In Japan” – Shawn Mendes

The best song from Shawn Mendes’ new album (full review here) and also my favorite.
“WOW” – Victoria Duffield

WOW is right—after a few years away, Canadian pop star Victoria Duffield returned with some killer new singles with her third studio album, Day 1, on the way. Duffield has grown since we last heard from her and has the proof to back it up.
“Colour” – MNEK feat. Hailee Steinfeld

I swear, Hailee Steinfeld could collaborate on a new single with a rock and it would be an absolute bop.
“Bloom” – Troye Sivan

Seriously—Troye Sivan has already released 3 of the 10 songs from his second studio album which comes out on August 31, also called Bloom (and may I just say that 10 songs IS NOT ENOUGH), and all of them are inexplicably amazing (and gay). Remember, this song is about flowers (just kidding; it’s totally about gay sex.)
“Get Me High” – Victoria Duffield

From the high notes to the killer EDM vibes, just all around perfection.
“Fall in Line” – Christina Aguilera feat. Demi Lovato

Two of the strongest vocalists of their respective generations teamed up for one song and honestly I’m surprised the universe didn’t implode.
“IDGAF” – Dua Lipa

This may be the eighth single from Dua Lipa’s debut album that is already a year old, but she did not come to play around. Pop music is so much better with Dua Lipa in it.
“Tiny Dancer” – Florence + the Machine

This March, two tribute albums were released in honor of Elton John and his longtime songwriting partner Bernie Taupin: one called Revamp with pop/R&B artists covering his songs and another called Restoration with country artists covering his songs. “Tiny Dancer” is probably one of the hardest songs to cover well, let alone one of the hardest Elton John songs to cover well, but Florence + the Machine do such a good job that I almost like it more than the original…which is, well, impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment