Saturday, September 7, 2013

Exclusive: Victoria Rowell wants to come back to 'The Young and the Restless'

Ever since this blogger storyline has begun to unravel on The Young and the Restless, speculation has arose that Victoria Rowell (ex-Drucilla Winters) might be returning, with other rumours stating that the actress didn't have the time to reprise the role she originated in 1990. In the latest issue of Soap Opera Digest, Rowell speaks openly that she will "always have time for Y&R". Of recent return rumours, she states: "I don't like the audience being tricked into believing that I'm coming back when Steve Kent [senior executive Vice President, programming, Sony Pictures Television] hasn't called me. I heard yesterday from someone at Y&R that they're being told I don't want to come back. People are still campaigning for this character daily, going into seven years, for a return, and the brass ignores that."

Since leaving Y&R, Rowell has campaigned to have African American writers hired at the soap. The actress herself left in 2007 after calling the soap racist for not having enough African American crew members. She shares that she got the show's first African American writer at the 37-year mark. She states that she asked Steve Mosko (president of Sony Pictures Television) about a return, and he said he would talk about it with Steve Kent. That was two and a half years ago. 

Rowell didn't want to leave the soap opera genre behind, revealing that she wanted to test for a role on NBC's Days of our Lives. Long story short, her name was taken off the list for the role, and she later  learned that they thought she wouldn't want it because it was recurring role. The actress shares: "My agent wouldn't confirm me if I didn't want the job. We're actors and we work really hard, so for someone over there to say, 'Take her off the list. She won't do the role' is ludicrous." Rowell was also 
happy to report that the rift between her and former co-star Michelle Stafford (ex-Phyllis) has been resolved.

Rowell also has a new project in the works, turning her best selling novel, The Young and the Ruthless, into a prime time series that will feature several former Y&R stars. In the meantime, Rowell is completely open to reprise the role of Drucilla. She states: "I will always have time for Y&R, so I do not want that I'm too busy with other things to ever be used as an excuse by anyone. In the meantime, one must eat and one must be creative, which has only inspired me and empowered me to continue on."

No comments:

Post a Comment