Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Book Reviews: 'Wildflower' by Drew Barrymore and 'Kindred Spirits' by Rainbow Rowell


1. Wildflower, by Drew Barrymore
:
This was just such a fun, simple, enjoyable read. Wildflower contains several stories written by actress Drew Barrymore, with topics ranging from her rough upbringing, to being on her own after being emancipated at 14, to skydiving with Cameron Diaz. It was one of those memoirs (it isn't technically a memoir, but it has that feel) where you just want to keep reading and reading because the stories are so interesting, so enveloping, and yet written so casually that you'd think Barrymore is an old friend she's catching you up over a cup of coffee on a breezy summer afternoon. A lot of people on Goodreads slammed and bashed her writing style; I saw one review saying they thought it read like an unedited college essay, but I totally, wholeheartedly disagree with all of them. The writing style is simple, yet effective; not written in a way that's too sophisticated, but also not written super fancy. Honestly, the writing style was exactly like I thought it would be, because I basically read the whole book with Drew Barrymore's voice narrating all the stories to me in my head. I love Barrymore; she's one of my favorite actresses and I really love her attitude on who she used to be and how that has helped her become who she is today. Anyone who loves Drew Barrymore will love Wildflower. I would totally consider reading this again, just because I found it so enjoyable. 5/5 stars.



2. Kindred Spirits, by Rainbow Rowell
:
Let me tell you about my journey with Kindred Spirits. When I came across the title on Goodreads a couple of months back, I was confused because I hadn't heard that Rainbow Rowell was coming out with a new book; she had just published her last novel, Carry On, last October (I also follow her diligently across all social media because she's one of my favorite authors, and I also hadn't seen her tweeting about it or anything). Later, I learned that Kindred Spirits is a short story she wrote for World Book Day in the UK, and that it would only be published in the UK and wouldn't be coming to North America until next year. So I thought, well, that just won't do! Where can I get my hands on a copy of this book?! It's Rainbow Rowell, I need it! My first instinct was to check Amazon, where I am a frequent shopper, and instead of the North American Amazon, I checked the British Amazon and sure enough, there it was, available for pre-order (I was already having my freak-out before the book even came out). The exchange rate didn't seem so bad, so I quickly pre-ordered it. And I waited. And I waited. The book came out in February, and it arrived in my mailbox on March 29. By that point, I didn't even care because I had managed to get my hands on a copy of a book that was only released in the UK, so I was proud of myself. There isn't much to say about Kindred Spirits other than it's just as flipping amazing and cute as every other Rainbow Rowell book. The story itself was only about 60 pages, and I honestly could've read a whole novel about the characters. I really feel like Rowell understands the heart and soul of the introvert, which is just one of the many reasons I love her and her books. The other reasons being that she's just awesome and her books are just awesome and you should read them. Right now. Go do it. This review was just me fanboying for an entire paragraph and I don't even care. 5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment