Sunday, November 12, 2017

10 Movies That I Find Therapeutic

1. Juno (2007)

People are usually interested to know why I love Juno so much, and it honestly has nothing to do with the fact that it’s about teen pregnancy. I just think it’s a really cute young adult story (Ellen Page and Michael Cera will always be adorable together and there will be NO discussion about it). Also, the tone and dialogue of the script are very sarcastic and the more you’ve seen it, the more you pick up on it, so for me, King of Sarcasm, Sass and Bitterness, it makes me smile every time and always manages to pick me up when I need it the most.
2. 13 Going on 30 (2004)

I will accept no judgment when I say that 13 Going on 30 is one of my all-time favorites. I used to just love it because it was cute and funny, but now it always manages to calm me down when I feel like a child dressed up in an adult suit. It’s also a solid rom-com so if you’re looking for something deeper, why don’t you just take yourself to the theatre and go see Taken 5 or whatever the kids are watching these days.
3. Mystic Pizza (1988)

An absolutely underrated gem, Mystic Pizza will never get old for me. Three girls on the cusp of adulthood (including Julia Roberts in one of her first movies ever, before Steel Magnolias and Pretty Woman) live in the small town of Mystic, Connecticut and work at Mystic Pizza, only the best pizza place ever (Mystic is a real place and Mystic Pizza is a real restaurant and I REALLY WANNA GO). It’s just a really heartfelt, well done coming-of-age story that may seem dated when you first go into it, but most of the issues the girls face are tales as old as time, so I think it stands up. Always manages to brighten me up when I need it to.
4. Easy A (2010)

Easy A is one of those great movies that no matter how many times you’ve seen it, you always manage to appreciate it in a new way the next time you go back to it. For those that are unfamiliar with one of the greatest teen movies ever, Emma Stone stars as Olive Penderghast, a high school girl who was never of much attention until one little lie becomes a really big rumor. Much like Juno, the tone and dialogue is very sarcastic, which I always appreciate. Amanda Bynes also co-stars as a blonde, bible-thumping snob, so there’s that.
5. Stepmom (1998)

Full disclosure: Stepmom is a total tearjerker so if you take my recommendation, please don’t come for me claiming I told you to watch a sad movie to lift your spirits. I HAVE GOOD REASONS. I first fell in love with Stepmom because, first and foremost, it features two of my all-time favorite actresses in leading roles: Susan Sarandon and Julia Roberts. But I keep going back to it from time to time because I think it is a very poignant portrait of family drama...played out by two of my all-time favorite actresses. Okay, I might be a little biased here. But even though it is sad, I take a little comfort from it every time I watch it, so I do recommend.
6. Pitch Perfect (2012)

To be perfectly honest, I wasn’t head over heels in love with Pitch Perfect the first time I saw it, like a lot of people were. It took watching it a few more times to recognize how truly and unabashedly AWESOME it is and only by watching it multiple times will you start to really appreciate the humor, and the music. We cannot forget about the music. One of the best movie soundtracks ever. Pitch Perfect never EVER fails to bring a smile to my face and make me feel better when I’m feeling down.
7. My Week with Marilyn (2011)

I actually only saw this movie for the first time recently, and I don’t know why I waited so long to seek it out. As someone who loves Marilyn Monroe for the person she was behind the sex symbol and icon (I’ve actually only seen bits and pieces of one of her movies and that’s it), My Week with Marilyn offers a great deal of insight into the woman behind the star and everything she went through and what her management put her through just so she could continue to be the Marilyn Monroe we remember today. I find part of it uplifting and relatable, because I think that a lot of the time, Marilyn just wanted someone she could trust to take her hand and tell her she was good enough and she could be the Marilyn they wanted. I think sometimes we all want someone to take our hand and say it’s fine, you’re fine, and you can do this. I don’t think Marilyn ever found that person, and maybe that person doesn’t really exist: you have to find the part within yourself that tells you you are okay and you are good enough. Michelle Williams also gives an AMAZING performance as Marilyn and she was ROBBED of that Best Actress Oscar.
8. Matilda (1996)

I do not think I would be who I am today without Matilda, both book and movie. Yes, a movie made for children, but with themes that I only learned to appreciate as I got older. Childhood favorite that will also be an adulthood favorite until the day I die.
9. Boys on the Side (1995)

Another tearjerker but PLEASE bear with me and try to find the positive messages you can take from this movie. Whoopi Goldberg, Mary-Louise Parker and Drew Barrymore star as three friends who take to the road, all of whom are going through different things. Boys on the Side has brought me a great deal of comfort in the past and I will always recommend it to others looking for the same deal.
10. Girl, Interrupted (1999)

To say that Girl, Interrupted has literally saved my life on more than one occasion would not be an exaggeration. As someone who has come to struggle with anxiety, Girl, Interrupted always makes me feel better. Always. There are times where I will try to watch one of my typical “go-to” movies to make me feel better, but it’s so bad that even my favorites won’t help. Girl, Interrupted always helps and always puts things into perspective. It works on so many levels. I have a lot of gratitude towards this movie for what it has brought to my life and I only hope that it brings similar things to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment